Inbound International Students
Established in 1947, the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) is a mid-sized regional university that offers students a supportive atmosphere and access to the resources of the larger University of Minnesota system. Our stellar teaching and research have earned the University of Minnesota Duluth high rankings in U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" issue.
Duluth is Minnesota’s fourth-largest city is the best of both worlds. Living on the western shore of Lake Superior, Duluthians get all the benefits of city life, while enjoying endless access to the great outdoors.
UMD at a Glance
- Over 11,000 students
- High Learning Commission Accreditation
- AACSB Accredited (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- ABET Accredited (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
- Ranked #38 among Midwest Regional Universities in the U.S.
- #53 Best Value Schools in the U.S.
- #44 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs in the U.S.
(2018 U.S. News & World Report)
UMD offers more than 93 undergraduate and post-baccalaureate degree programs in more than 20 different fields within its five colleges:
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Education & Human Service Professions
- Labovitz School of Business & Economics
- Swenson College of Science & Engineering
The University of Minnesota Duluth campus is spread over 244 acres (~1 km²) and overlooks Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world. There are more than 50 buildings that are connected by concourses and hallways. Enrollment at UMD is approximately 9,500 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate students, including over 300 international students from over 40 countries.
What to do
Beyond academics, there are a number of seasonal and year-round activities. Locals enjoy athletics, sports, and recreational activities including sailing, skiing, rock climbing, hockey, soccer, and even surfing! The campus also has its own performing arts theater, art museum, music hall, and planetarium. Duluth’s city center is located roughly 3 miles (4.8 km) away from campus and it’s easy to get there by bus. We’re sure you’ll enjoy learning, living, and becoming part of this wonderful community.