Apply to CHEPD Program

The CHEPD program gives Chinese undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to spend two years at an AASCU (American Association of State Colleges and Universities) institution. Participants in the program earn dual degrees from their Chinese home institution and their U.S. host institution by spending their first year of study in China, two years in the U.S., and their final year in China.

> Apply to a CHEPD Program

Student Perspective - CHEPD 1+2+1 Dual Degree Program

Degrees at UMD

Degree options available to CHEPD 1+2+1 students include majors from the following colleges:

Summer Programs

ELCI (The English Language and Cultural Institute)

Participating Schools 


What is CHEPD? | Initiated in 2001, the Sino-American Cooperation on Higher Education and Professional Development (CHEPD) 1+2+1 Program operates under the auspices of, and with the support of, The American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), and the China Center for International Educational Exchange (CCIEE).

Which colleges and universities participate in CHEPD? | The Program involves 107 Chinese and 25 American universities and is among the largest U.S. - China collaborations in the education field.

Who grants the university degree? | CHEPD is a dual degree program. Participating students who complete all program participation requirements get two degrees; one from their home university, and one from UMD.

Which UMD Majors are available to CHEPD students? | All majors in all of UMD's colleges

What is the timeline for participation? | Traditionally, CHEPD students begin their studies at their Chinese university. Students then come to the U.S. in the fall of their second year. Students then spend two years studying at UMD. Finally, they return to China to complete their final year of study at their home university. Upon completing all degree requirements, students receive a bachelor’s degree from each university.

Who is responsible for tuition and other costs at U.S. universities? | Chinese students’ families are in charge of all the costs of study in the U.S. CCIEE will check the family financial background and collect a financial statement from each family before they apply. Also, all students are required to send two years’ worth of tuition, (one year for graduate students) room and board, medical insurance cost, and one semester’s English language training fee, to the American universities right after students receive their visas.

What if students can’t complete their U.S. program within two years? | Most complete their U.S. courses within two years if they take courses during summer sessions. If the student takes English language classes for more than one semester, or the program requires more than two academic years to meet the requirements from certain accreditation bodies, with the approval of CCIEE and Chinese partner universities, students may stay for a longer period, not to exceed a total of four years including language training.

Can students change their major while studying in the U.S.? | If a student wants to change majors, he/she needs to get approval from both the Chinese and American universities. Students are not encouraged to change majors after they arrive on the U.S. campus unless there is a strong reason to do so.

Can students enter graduate programs directly without going back to China? | No. Students MUST return to China and finish the last year of study before entering graduate programs in the United States.

Can students apply for any other type of visa to enter the U.S. and participate in this program? | No, all students must have a J visa to participate in the CHEPD 1+2+1 Program.