ELCI Pre-Arrival Information
The University of Minnesota Duluth English Language & Culture Insitute (ELCI) looks forward to welcoming you. See details below and don't hesitate to contact us with questions.
Airline and Arrival
Duluth International Airport
The Duluth International Airport in Duluth, Minnesota is served by Delta and United Airlines. Flights can be booked online at:
If you are arriving at the Minneapolis airport and want to take a bus to Duluth, there are a few options:
If you would like to be picked up at the airport or bus stop in Duluth, please let us know at least three weeks in advance by emailing us at [email protected] with your travel details, including arrival time and location. The pick-up hours are between 8:00 AM–11:00 PM.
After arrival in the U.S., students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to attend Document Check. Document Check is a procedure that verifies a student’s immigration status to ensure that the student is eligible to start an academic program at the University of Minnesota Duluth for the upcoming academic semester.
Bring the following documents with you to the Bohannon Hall office (BH 209):
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Passport and visa stamp (in your passport)
- I-94 (if you have a paper I-94 - a white card in your passport that was stamped during your immigration inspection, otherwise we will help you find your electronic I-94 online)
- Dependent documents (I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa stamp, and I-94 card) if you have dependents with you
- Previous school’s I-20 or DS-2019 (if you attended another school in the U.S.)
- University of Minnesota ID number (on your admission letter)
- Sponsor letter (if your tuition & fees are paid directly to the University by a government or international agency)
If you are unable to bring your documents before orientation, please bring your documents to orientation and we can make copies at that time.
In the United States, the government does not pay for health care. Your Student Services Fee pays for services at UMD Health Services, but you are also required to purchase health insurance.
Health care in the United States is complicated and very expensive—one illness can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and financially devastate you and your family. Therefore, for your protection, UMD mandates that all international students purchase the Student Health Benefit Plan. For more information about the plan, please visit the Office of Student Health Benefits.
Before arriving to Duluth, please review and fill out the following forms:
International Student Housing
International Student Housing
View information about on-campus housing for undergraduate students. Due to limited space, UMD is unable to offer on-campus housing for graduate students.
Here are several sites that students use to find off-campus housing. DISCLAIMER: Please use caution when contacting potential properties, and never sign a lease or send money without you or someone you trust looking at the property in person first.
Note: our office does not review or maintain the following sites:
- UMD Housing, Sublets, and Roommates
- Duluth Craigslist Apartment/Housing
- Duluth PadMapper
- ApartmentFinder Duluth
- UMD Kirby Student Center Off-Campus Housing
Our staff can sometimes help students with their search for off-campus housing. Please contact us with questions or for more information.
Orientation for the UMD ELCI program will be provided as program logistics are finalized.